Thursday, March 12, 2009

Sharing

Today Ellie and I went to a playgroup at another house. Ellie was shy at first then wandered off to play in the bedroom with the other kids. I didn't hear anything from her for a while as I chatted with some other Moms. Eventually, though, my heart skipped a beat as I heard the familiar (if rare) sound of my little girl very very upset. I ran to her only to discover that she was wailing b/c another little girl had taken her play shopping cart and doll. I tried appeasing her with another toy (there were plenty to chose from) but she was not dissuaded. I changed tactics and offered the other girl a different toy. She was happy to accept. All was once again well. This scene repeated itself several times, with several other kids. All were easily convinced to play with other toys. Ellie continued to focus soley on the baby doll and cart. The other kids would just take things from her and she was the littlest one (but in the middle as far as age), so there wasn't much she could do. She never resorted to violence I am happy to report. We took a few breaks with Ellie sitting on my lap and consoling herself with goldfish and hugs, but we eventually had to leave she was so upset!
That girl has some focus! Granted, she didn't sleep well the night before and these were kids she hadn't played with before, but still, my goodness. Other kids bounce from one toy to the next, not Elliette.
Happy random things - Ellie loves the book 'Go,Dogs, Go' and can tell me all about all the opposites and colors it describes. Right now she is wrapping her mind around the green light meaning 'Go' and the red light meaning 'Stop'
She can identify Belle, Cinderella, Ariel, Snow White, and Jasmine. She's never seen them on TV, just on her Mimi's, and she absolutely flipped when she found a Disney Princess book at Half Price Books the other day. Of course I bought it for her and of course we've read it several times a day since then.
She's pretty much completely over toddler books and wants to read big books.
When Ellie is trying to communicate 'Big' she throws both her hands up in the air and says 'baaa' in an oddly deep voice.

No comments: