
Ellie and I were in a car accident Friday night. Someone rear-ended us in stop and go traffic. I can't describe the horror I felt when I heard Ellie start crying after the jolt. I immediately dialed 911, but didn't remember to hit send until I was out of the car and opening up the back door. I yelled at the woman who hit us, "I have a baby in the car" and the 911 dispatcher had to tell me to calm down. Boy, I always thought I was calm under pressure. I did calm down when Ellie stopped crying, which was actually pretty quickly. I didn't even look to see if there was damage to the cars until about 15 minutes after the accident. I truly didn't care at all about the cars. I was just holding Ellie, hugging her tight, and breathing deeply. It took the ambulance and fire truck about 15-20 minutes to get to us. By that time though I was pretty sure that Ellie was fine so I wasn't too upset. However, dear readers, if you are in an accident please take my advice and give the 911 dispatcher clear directions and then make him repeat them back to you.
The paramedics just glanced at Elliette and told me that she seemed fine, but to call 911 again if she started vomiting, became lethargic, wouldn't stop crying, etc. Although I was grateful for their assistance I didn't feel that a just wait and see plan was the best option so I took her to the doctor as well. She checked out fine there too and we were given the same advice about calling back if anything changed. Of course she was dealing with some teething pain so I was a little worried that her fussiness was stemming from something more serious but Tate kept assuring me that she was fine. Why do Moms worry so much more than Dads about health and safety issues?
I think the incident took at least a month off the end of my life. I am so incredibly grateful that Elliette is OK though!
Ellie's second tooth popped through last night! She spent the day grabbing at anything and everything. She would bite at whatever was around with moves worthy of a National Geographic show!
I'm developing a sore throat and it is reminding me of when I was little and got Strep Throat all the time. I feel like I can't swallow, especially my own saliva. Hope I'm not getting sick, but I really hope I don't get Ellie sick. She doesn't need this on top of teething!
1 comment:
We're so glad you're both fine. An automobile accident is so traumatic and even more so when a baby is involved.
Take care!
Love,
Grammy and Grandpa
Post a Comment